Deadlines to be aware of:
- June 1, 2012 – You must begin dialing 512 with all calls. If you forget, a message will come on to remind you.
- July 1, 2013. 737 numbers are available.
About the 737 Area Code Overlay
To support the continued growth of Austin and surrounding areas’ phone number requirements, area code 737 was approved in 2012 to coexist within the same calling region as the 512 area code. Overlaying the 732 numbers on top of the 512 area code does not require changing of the existing 512 numbers and greatly expands the quantity of available numbers for new consumers and businesses flocking to the area.
Impact to current consumers and businesses
There is no charge for calling from a 512 number to a 737 number and visa verse. However, on July 1, 2013 all local calls made by an existing 512 number and from any new 737 number must dial the first three digits of the number – just as if it the user was dialing a long distance number.
For consumers, the impact is the getting used to dialing 512 at the beginning of each number. Most cell phones already do this if you dial from a preprogrammed number. When manual dialing, consumers will need to get used to adding the area code to the number.
For businesses, the impact may be much greater:
- Numbers preprogrammed into phones will need to be updated to include the area code
- Signeage that does not include the area code will need to be updated
- Fax Machines may need to be updated to require 7 digits when dialing
- Any automatic dialing equipment should have dialing procedures reviewed
- Fire and Security Alarm equipment should be checked to see if it is dialing a 10 digit number
- Security Gates should be checked for 10 digit dialing as well
- Voice mail and other recorded messages should be checked and updated when referencing other numbers
Contact us for immediate assistance! Contact
Who is affected?
If you have a number with a 512 area code in the following counties and cities in Texas you are affected:
- Bastrop – Bastrop, Cedar Creek, Elgin, McDade, Smithville
- Burnet – Bertram, Burnet, Briggs, Spicewood
- Caldwell – Fentress, Lockhart, Martindale, Maxwell, Prairie Lea
- Fayette – Muldoon
- Guadalupe – Staples
- Hays – Buda, Driftwood, Dripping Springs, Kyle, San Marcos, Wimberly
- Lampasas – Kempner, Lampasas, Lometa
- Llano – Buchanan Dam
- Milam – Rockdale, Thorndale
- Travis – Austin, Cedar Park, De Valle, Elgin, Leander, Manchaca, Manor, McNeil, Pflugerville, Round Rock
- Williamson – Cedar Park, Coupland, Georgetown, Granger, Huto, Jarrel, Leander Liberty Hill, Pflugerville, Round Rock, Taylor, Thorndale, Thrall, Walburg, Weir
Who can I contact with questions about the TX 512 / 737 Area Code Overlay?
- If you have any questions regarding the TX 512 / 737 Area Code Overlay, Contact telecommunication solution provider D&D Tech Partners at 512-861-6421 to answer any questions or to order services with the 737 numbers.